Many people wonder where the name for the City of White Settlement came from. The roots of the name and the city itself can be traced back to the earliest days of the Texas Republic. In a time when many predominantly white pioneers were moving to the area, several surrounding settlements were still occupied by Native Americans. In 1849, in an effort to help protect the pioneers, the War Department constructed a small fort at the confluence of the Clear and West Forks of the Trinity River. It was given the name Fort Worth.
This historical chain of events led to the development of two settlements, one occupied by white settlers and another encompassing a grouping of seven villages occupied by Native Americans. Thus, the name White Settlement was coined. The City of White Settlement was officially incorporated in 1941 and has enjoyed a steady increase in population and development ever since.