Compliments and Complaints

If you would like to compliment an officer or employee for exceptional service we would like to hear from you and recognize the officer.  Also, if you believe an officer violated a policy or law and you wish to make a complaint against an officer or employee we want to know about it so that it can be investigated.

Who can make a complaint?
Any person who believes they have been the victim of unprofessional or illegal treatment or who believes that they have been subjected to racial profiling by a police officer, may file a complaint, in writing or by telephone or electronic mail; other persons may be asked to provide statements as witnesses.

What is Racial Profiling?
As defined by Texas Law, “’racial profiling’ means a law enforcement-initiated action based on an individual’s race, ethnicity, or national origin rather than on the individual’s behavior or on information identifying the individual as having engaged in criminal activity.”

How to make a complaint.
When a citizen has a complaint against an employee (sworn or civilian), they may contact the Police Department. Complaints that are relatively minor in nature will be directed to the employee’s supervisor. Allegations of serious misconduct, including racial profiling, will be forwarded to the Police Department’s Internal Affairs Investigator.
Texas Law requires that all complaints against Police Officers, which may result in disciplinary action, be in writing and signed by the person making the complaint. Complaints of misconduct that are less serious in nature need not be in writing. Complaints should be made within 30 days of the incident unless special circumstances exist.  You can make a compliment or complaint against an officer or employee either in-person at the Police Department, located at 8900 Clifford Street, White Settlement, TX 76108; by calling us at (817) 246-7070; or by email at  You can use the form located in the downloadable section of our page, complete the yellow highlighted sections and bring it, mail it or email it to the Police Department.

False Complaints
Filing a false complaint against an employee is a violation of the Texas Penal Code, Section 37.02. If a person knowingly and intentionally makes a false statement under oath, or swears to the truth of a false statement previously made under oath, a person may be found guilty and punished by a fine up to $4000, confinement in jail up to one year, or both fine and punishment.

What happens when a complaint is upheld?
When the investigation finds that the charges against an employee are true, the Chief of Police notifies the employee and may take one of the following actions:

  • Reprimand the employee verbally or in writing
  • Suspend the employee without pay
  • Demote the employee
  • Discharge the employee.

Employees have the right to appeal the Department’s decision to uphold a complaint and the decision to discipline the employee.

What happens when a complaint is not upheld?
Complaints must be supported by sufficient evidence. When the investigation cannot find the degree of evidence necessary to prove the employee acted improperly, the employee and the citizen are both notified in writing.

What if you are not satisfied with the outcome?
You may appeal the findings of the department to:
City of White Settlement City Manager
214 Meadow Park Drive
White Settlement, TX 76108
(817) 246-4971