The northernmost park in the City of White Settlement is John Griggs Park. This is the second oldest park in White Settlement and was once known as North Park. It was renamed in honor of John Griggs by a unanimous vote of the City Council in November of 1986 to honor him for his 24 years of service as the Fire Chief of the White Settlement Volunteer Fire Department. At the November 1986 meeting, Council considered renaming Saddle Hills Park in honor of Griggs but ultimately decided to rename North Park. At the meeting, Griggs was referred to as a remarkable leader.
Griggs joined the White Settlement Volunteer Fire Department in 1954 and was named Fire Chief in 1956. He served as the chief until 1980. He also served in the leadership of the Tarrant County Fire Fighters Association. In addition to being honored with a park in his name, there is a plaque at the base of the flagpole at the current Fire Station in remembrance of Griggs and all he did for the community.